Thanks to the dedication of volunteers, the Brockville Museum is able to respond to public requests for information on Brockville-related topics. Volunteers access a number of resources in order to answer questions and provide information, including Brockville Directories and phone books dating back to the 1890s, Brockville history reference books, and research files containing copies of newspaper articles and miscellaneous documents on Brockville subjects.
Typical inquiries include information on local businesses, sports teams, events and previous owners of specific houses. We also receive requests for historical images of specific scenes, which are normally handled by museum staff members. We normally respond to inquiries within 2-4 weeks depending on the nature of the request, volume of requests and availability of staff and volunteers.
When making a research request, please be as specific as possible. Consider: What is the question you are trying to have answered? What do you already know? This helps ensure that we focus on the most relevant information that will be of the most interest to you. A copy of our research request form is available on this page. Please email or drop off a completed form to facilitate your request, you can also call in and we will fill in a form.
At present, we do not charge for this service, although small fees do apply for photocopying and scanning. Donations, however, are always appreciated. (For more detailed research requests that require staff involvement, retrieval of archival material, and over one hour of time, a research fee may be charged, but this will be discussed with the client in advance).
We recommend submitting your request and letting our volunteers handle your inquiry, however, if you would prefer to perform your own research, basic provisions can be provided. In order to perform your own research, we ask that you make an appointment at least one week in advance and that you provide us with details on the nature of your research, this allows us to pull the relevant information for you in advance. Please note, however, we currently do not have the resources to provide researchers with access to our archival holdings. Unfortunately, walk-ins cannot be accommodated.
Brockville Museum Research Library Holdings
- Brockville Directory, 1889-90
- Vernon Directories: 1911, 1913, 1919, 1929-1956, 1961-1980, 1990, 1994
- Subject-based Research Files (containing copies of newspaper clippings and misc. documents relating to Brockville businesses, people, events and places).
- Brockville reference books
Archival Holdings (sample)
- Brockville Collegiate Institute Year Books (most years)
- Brockville Public Utilities records
- Brochures, manuals and misc. promotional material from various Brockville companies
- Vernon Directories
- McCormick Collection (Great Lakes ship and shipping records and photographs)
- Blitz Magazines (Officer’s Training Camp magazine, WWII)
- Oral Histories
- Curry Collection (documents and photographs by Frederick Curry, relating to WWI)
Photographic Holdings (sample)
- George Eland Collection (includes aerial photographs and street scenes of Brockville)
- Reorder and Times Collection (photographic negatives - primarily 1950s-1970s)
- Innis Collection (mostly portraits)
In addition to these collections, the Brockville Museum has a large selection of photos on various themes and subjects, including King St views and social clubs, among others.
The Brockville Museum is currently working on making its entire archival holdings available through on online, searchable database. Eventually, this database will include detailed information and images of all our documents and photographs. Thanks to our hard-working team of volunteers, at present our three-dimensional objects and many of our images are searchable online, with progress now being made on our paper documents which are being added regularly. In the future, this will assist researchers with locating the documents that are of interest to them, without even having to come to the museum. We invite you to search our collection!